Friday, July 15, 2011

Visiting Mary

Mary invited us to go to her home outside of Arusha for lunch.  She asked me to see how many girls wanted to come so she could prepare a lunch for all of us. There ended up being a lot of girls so I was worried that it might be overwhelming for her but she was just excited to see everyone.  Mary called a taxi for us all and when we arrived she promptly handed me her little girl, Nargis. Nargis is named after a flower and Mary calls her Nagy for short. She was all wrapped up in her winter clothes and Mary and her cook/nanny were already started preparing the lunch. Mary lived in a small apartment that was attached to a few other apartments in a fenced off garden area. She put a blanket outside the kitchen and we all sat on it and talked while she prepared the meal. She asked me to cut cucumber and carrots for her, which was mildly embarrassing. The cook was ten times faster with her vegetables but I told her I just needed more practice. Nargis played with all of us but she couldn’t go too long without seeing her mom or she would start slowly putting her lip out and silent tears would stream down her cheek. Nargis is only eight months old so she was pretty overwhelmed with all of our attention.
Mary showed us how to make chapatti too! Chapatti is like a softer tortilla but not as soft as the Ethiopian sponge like bread though they are used at dinner in the same way (almost as utensils.)  The food she cooked was amazing. The best Tanzanian food we have had. There was beef, rice, vegetables (chopped perfectly of course,) beans, and chapatti. We were all stuffed within minutes and laying on her couch motionless. Mary coaxed us to go on a walk after around the neighborhood. She let me carry Nagy too. When we got out of the gate she told me it would be easier if we wrapped Nagy in a conga on my back.  Mary helped me wrap her tightly to my back and laughed at me as she stood back and admired her work.
“Your are a real African woman now!”
I really did look the part. It was such a good feeling to make a friend here that trusted me so much. She was so sweet and truly wanted to share her life with me. I really hope one day I can return the favor or come back and see her. She told me if I brought my mother she would teach her how to like bananas. Mary is always teaching me new things about Tanzania and friendship in general.  I will really miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment