Monday, July 4, 2011

Home-Stay Camping?

Without classes since Wednesday it has been a pretty slow week. Charles, our professor, left Wednesday afternoon and gave us our essays back as he was walking out the door. (I got an 19.5 out of 20 thanks to my sister helping me understand the ups and downs of writing a proposal.) Charles wants me to pursue my project idea and try to implement it. He thinks it might make a decent start to a Fulbright proposal. I don't think I'm ready to be thinking about that for a long time.
Thursday we had our exams. It was five essay questions and you picked three to actually do. We were all going to kill each other by the time the day was done. I was five coffees deep and getting tired of using the phrase "cultural realization." I ended up working from twelve to six and then six to nine and had seven pages full of rambling international law theory from a nineteen year-old perspective. (The start to the most useless novel ever written, not including Madame Bovary.)
When Friday finally came we were all ready to run out of the house to go on our camping trip and safari. We went in two green land rovers that were waiting outside of the gate. After the camel safari I was very excited not to be in a van off roading again. We went to the grocery store and got al the food we were going to need. My debit card wouldn't work at the ATM for some reason so I had to borrow money from Emily. I haven't been able to use my card at any ATM except this one particular bank. It makes me a little nervous every time this happens but I am just going to stick with the same ATM and keep being cheap.  After we got the food for the camping trip we got back in the cars and prepared ourselves for a long drive....
Twenty minutes later the cars pulled up to a house. We were in the next neighborhood over from our house basically. There had been some kind of misunderstanding and instead of staying closer to the park we were just in a home-stay in a small village outside of where our regular house was.
Well we just kind of laughed it off and decided to make the best of it and explore the new neighborhood.
There was a camp fire which was a bonus and the family was really friendly. It ended up being a good night and adventure. They family had set up the home-stay to make extra money. They cooked us an amazing dinner. The soup tasted amazing and they showed us the squash they scooped out to make it.  That night we gave the children their first smores and they showed us how to grill fresh corn in an open fire. The whole family was really sweet. The power was out the whole time so it was alot like camping after all. I really enjoy home-stays, meeting the family was such a different experience than I had had before. A few pictures from the morning before we left.



No comments:

Post a Comment